In this episode, I’m talking with Dr. Daryl Johnson, affectionately known as Your Favorite Couples Therapist, she is a psychologist and relationship therapist in Washington, DC. She is the owner of her private practice In Session Counseling & Consulting, LLC. Dr.Daryl helps her clients break through the obstacles that seem to be holding them back in life. She specializes in guiding singles and couples toward healthy relationships.
When not at her private practice, she provides therapeutic services to incarcerated individuals in Washington, DC, is an adjunct psychology professor, and is a provider on the internet-based therapy platform, TalkSpace.
During this episode, Dr. Daryl discussed:
- How imposter syndrome showed up as she embarked on her journey into private practice
- Her struggle with postpartum anxiety as a new mother and the #1 thing that has helped her in this season
- One of the main reasons why women struggle so much with setting boundaries
- The importance of boundaries and the exact steps to take to to ask for what you need
- How our attachment styles show up in our relationships
- A common misconception about couples therapy
- Unhealthy communication patterns that can be detrimental to our relationships
- How to create space for “check-ins” in your relationship and what questions to ask your partner
- The importance of healing and being your own person prior to getting into a relationship
And so much more! Tune in now to hear how Dr. Daryl is doing the work to make sure that we have healthy and thriving relationships, both platonic and romantic.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Resources for couples from The Gottman Institute/John Gottman: https://www.gottman.com/couples/products/
Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment and How It Can Help You Find – and Keep – Love by Amir Levine and Rachel Heller: https://www.amazon.com/Attached-Science-Adult-Attachment-YouFind/dp/1585429139
Follow Dr. Daryl on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drdaryljohnson
Check out Dr. Daryl website and other resources: www.drdaryljohnson.com
Have any questions for me or just wanna show me some love? Send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org